It’s monsoon season again here in Manila! Yet many of us here are training hard for our respective races by the end of the year.
Despite the inclement weather, we are still more than happy to run on wet roads than to get bored running on treadmills. As a result, our running shoes get drenched in rainwater and become stinky the next morning.
Our running shoes need TLC such as regular cleaning especially if we are short in budget and have only one pair.
Here are the 10 simple steps to clean our running shoes:
1. Remove shoelaces and sockliner from the shoes. Wash it with mild detergent or body wash, and rinse.
2. Stuff crumpled newspaper in our shoes and leave them overnight. Sprinkling some baking soda in the newspaper before inserting it can give better deodorizing results.
3. Remove the surface dirt with an old toothbrush.
4. Rinse our shoes with water and brush it with a mild detergent or your trusted body wash. Soaking our shoes in warm soapy water is optional but cannot be done regularly. The glue that binds our shoes can weaken and will further decrease its life span.
5. Blot our shoes and insoles dry with a dry towel.
6. Never dry our shoes along with the sockliner and laces under the sun or radiator as it will further damage not just the shape of the shoes, the glue will also melt. Instead, do tip #2.
7. Air dry our shoes once the newspaper absorbed the water from the shoes.
8. Once the shoes are completely dry, insert the insoles and lace them.
9. (Optional) We can get rid of debris stuck in the grooves of the outsole using a bamboo skewer. Make sure that the small pointed tip must be cut first.
10. Our running shoes are ready again for combat!